Comment on criterion three

Growth and redistribution

Growth and redistribution

by Secretariat GenderCC -
Number of replies: 1
  • include access to and control over natural resources

Energy efficiency, renewable energy and low carbon technologies can reduce the impact on the environment, but continued growth and conventional development path will reduce these positive effects.

In reply to Secretariat GenderCC

Re: Growth and redistribution

by Deleted user -

It is perfectly possible to reduce growth while increasing welfare by increasing levels of equality. South Africa is an interesting example: 53 % of the population are food insecure or at risk of food insecurity, while the other 47 % are suffering from all the diseases of overconsumption: diabetes, strokes, etc. Think we could all be a good deal healthier by equalizing food consumption - this does not require economic growth but simply a better distribution of resources.